A view of life, family, and the struggle of man vs. everything else, through the broken lens of a deeply imperfect human being.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Let Me Smush You!

“A hug is the perfect gift; one size fits all, and nobody minds if you exchange it.” ~ Unknown


   Have you ever needed a hug? All jokes aside, I believe there is really something to the idea. To be embraced by someone who cares about you and that you care about is probably one of the best feelings we get the chance to experience in our lives. To feel their person, their physical body so close to your own is, I believe, symbolic of spiritual unity. To draw someone to your breast and envelop them in your grasp is as close to becoming one being as is physically possible.
   Hugging is a sign of trust, and a language all its own between the lover and the beloved. The longer you hold them, the gentler or firmer the squeeze, the hand placement - all these and many more factors make up a very communicative body language. It's a way to show someone how much and in what way you care for them. In touching you make them feel tangibly your feelings for them.
   To tell the truth, I have needed a hug for quite a long time. The last good, honest hug I received was probably four months ago. I often experience a sort of empty sensation in my arms, as though they themselves yearn to wrap themselves around a familiar body. In particular, I ache to hug a woman. Not simply because I am heterosexual, but because there is something much more satisfying about hugging a woman - they are better at it. 
   When it comes to expressing affection through such gestures, I feel that women are so much more well-versed than we men are. A woman can melt a frozen heart with a tender embrace, and make their subject suddenly not want to let go. I must give credit to several women I know for being excellent huggers, for I find myself very often remembering vividly the good, nurtured feelings they have given me.
   Have you ever wondered what life would be like if humanity just stopped hugging? Stopped touching one another? Imagine never holding your girlfriend in your lap and just enjoying her warmth in complete stillness. Imagine never again picking up  a small child and holding them to your shoulder. Imagine how terrible saying goodbye would be. Imagine never slowdancing with your husband. Can you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment